Converting Posts to reviews

Support forum for the Made WordPress theme.

Moderator: Developers

Converting Posts to reviews

Postby Nicoleabouttown » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Hello,

I have just purchased the made theme. I am not starting a site from scratch, but have content already in the form of posts. How do I convert those posts into reviews?

Thanks,

Nicole
Nicoleabouttown

Re: Converting Posts to reviews

Postby IndustrialThemes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Create your review type first and set up all the settings, then use a post type converter plugin such as this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/convert-post-types/ to convert your posts into reviews.
Please read our Support Policy
IndustrialThemes
Site Admin

Postby Nicoleabouttown » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you so much!

I knew there was an answer, but couldn't find it for the life of me.
Nicoleabouttown

Postby IndustrialThemes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Glad to help - that's why the forums exist! :)
Please read our Support Policy
IndustrialThemes
Site Admin

Postby egcarbajal » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Will the post converter or post switcher plugins mess with the permalinks? Just wanted to ask before I try them out:)

Thanks,
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi,

Here is a detailed guide, something I am about to use on my site very soon when I make the theme transition. I already tested it on my local server and it works perfectly so no worries.

To keep your permalinks to what it is presently, provided that you are using custom permalinks option and not the default wordpress permalinks thingy, you need to do the following:

1) Disable your Google Sitemap Generator plugin (or any similar plugin).

2) First convert your eg. category 1 to eg. review type 1. The permalinks will be changed once the conversion is over. (Convert using the Post Type Converter Plugin easily.)

3) Now go to wordpress plugins page, then download, install and activate the following two plugins:

Plugin 1 - Custom Post Type Permalinks - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-post-type-permalinks/
Plugin 2 - Remove slug from custom post type - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/remove-slug-from-custom-post-type/

4) After you have done so go to your permalink settings page (you will see a new field for each review post type under the permalinks settings page) and match the new custom post type permalink structure to what is specified in your regular post permalink settings.

For eg. if your existing permalink is something like - /%category%/%postname%
then copy that setting and paste it to all your post types. Check the screenshot:
Permalinks — WordPress 2012-07-02 02-22-46.png
screenshot 1
Permalinks — WordPress 2012-07-02 02-22-46.png (62.7 KiB) Viewed 11770 times

5) Save and update your permalinks setting. If needed, copy paste the generated rules to your htaccess file.

6) Activate your Google Sitemap Generator plugin.

Done!
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for this! I currently have my permalinks set to : /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/
Will this guide work with my current permalink type (sorry, not super-computer savy)?

Thanks so much!
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 am

Always make a database backup first before making a major change to anything related to your blog. Better be safe than sorry.

And, I don't see why it should not work with your permalink settings. :) give it a try, if for some weird reason it doesn't work you can always revert back to the old structure by restoring your backed up database.

Remember to turn off sitemap generator first so that no new links are submitted to google while the transition is in progress, this way your SEO wont be hampered in any way.
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 am

It WORKED!! Thank you SO much! My Permalinks looks the same, and I tested it out by clicking on some of my links on google and it takes me to my newly converted review article! I just know this guide is going to help out a lot of folks! I'm a newbie, but these step- by- step instructions you've made are so easy to understand:)

Brian: You should include this fantastic guide in your documentation:)

Kindest Regards,
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby egcarbajal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Since I transferred the posts to review posts, and enabled the additional plugins (Custom Post Type Permalinks, and Remove slug from custom post type) I can't preview changes to any of the review articles- I get a 404 Error. When I disable the two plugins, I can preview it fine.

Do you have any ideas of how I can fix this (in the easiest explanation possible)? I really want to use these plugins because I want to keep my permalinks, but I also need to preview changes.

Any help is super-duper appreciated!
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby egcarbajal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:22 pm

In case you try this out on your site, let me correct myself to say that I can preview the review articles when those two plugins are disable, but only until I publish and then It just shows the previous version of the article. But this is a pre-exisiting issue with the theme that Brian is aware of and looking into.

The plugin related issue is the 404 error when previewing the review articles. Wordpress sure doesn't seem to like these review articles, lol.

Best,
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 pm

egcarbajal wrote:Since I transferred the posts to review posts, and enabled the additional plugins (Custom Post Type Permalinks, and Remove slug from custom post type) I can't preview changes to any of the review articles- I get a 404 Error. When I disable the two plugins, I can preview it fine.

Do you have any ideas of how I can fix this (in the easiest explanation possible)? I really want to use these plugins because I want to keep my permalinks, but I also need to preview changes.

Any help is super-duper appreciated!
Gayle

Hi Gayle, sorry for the late reply, was busy messing up site by mix-matching swagger and the made theme, thus creating a somewhat Swaggade-ish type theme. lol.

Anyway, seems like an internal permalink re-directional issue. Either one of the plugins, or, the theme by-passes the temp version of the post. Wordpress always saves the location of your posts internally in its database with a short unique id (such as blahblaaah.com/?post69), which it uses as the permanent location of your post in its own knowledge pool. With our redirection hack, a preview probably should work when there is a permanent database location of that post/page/article. A post draft should also serve that purpose.

Hence before you write a new post, SAVE the article/post as a DRAFT. Then write your post/article on that draft and preview the change as you would normally. This should work. Let me know :cry:
godsofchaos

Postby godsofchaos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Also, once you convert your regular posts to articles, you will either have to individually fill up or disable the Swagger/Made meta boxes info for these articles. Otherwise all your old posts will show a zero value rating. This is not an error, it just doesn't have the info yet.

If you have too many posts already present then this might sound like a tiresome work but not to worry. You can auto-magically add bulk custom field values for all sort of posts (regular, custom & even pages) before or after the conversion of the posts to articles using the Custom Field Bulk Editor plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cus ... ulk-editor).

Eg screenshot of the plugin:
screenshot-1.png
bulk custom field editor
screenshot-1.png (47.87 KiB) Viewed 11663 times

Hope this helps, I know it will help me pretty soon :)
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks so much for getting back to me:)

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem viewing previews before and after they are published. When I revisit articles and make changes, I can't preview those changes. I get a 404 error.

Goodness, so many issues, lol.

Thank you for any guidance you could offer on the subject:)

Best,
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:09 am

Hmmmm mine is working fine now even without the draft save.

please check your htaccess for and see if there are something similar to these already generated or not.

Code: Select all
# BEGIN CUSTOM POST TYPES PERMALINKS
RewriteRule ^Game-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Application-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^SmartPhone-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Theme-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]

# BEGIN REMOVE SLUG CUSTOM POST TYPE RULES
RewriteRule ^os_game/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_application/(.+)/$ /$1

where for an eg review type GAME, Game-detail is your review type name and os_game is your taxonomy type.

*OMG..... On a side note, I upgraded from Swagger to Made, and only now I noticed that my review slugs are the old ones from swagger which uses a different permalink setting for articles. Made uses an updated version of permalink structure, so if you are a brand new Made customer and created your review types only after installing Made, the entire thingy might work without the need of the remove slug plugin. So, please disable it and see if it actually works for you or not. (just a hypothesis at this point).

For an eg. check out the url structure of the same article from both swagger n made demo.

Swagger Article:
http://demos.brianmcculloh.com/swagger/ ... de-cheese/

Made Article
http://demos.brianmcculloh.com/made/res ... om-brucie/

Using the remove slugs plugin, I am eliminating the "Restaurant-detail" part from my permalink for a Restaurant Review article. This will not exist for you if you are brand new Made customer whose reviews were generated through Made and NOT imported from Swagger.

Hence, hypothetically that plugin should not actually be needed for you at all and maybe causing you these errors. At this point only you can test it out and tell us. So let me know what happens if you disable the plugin and update the permalink structure.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:41 am

I'm actually new to Swagger and am changing over from a different theme (not Made). I searched through Swagger forum, and wandered into here:)

I tried disabling the remove-slug-plugin, but then my permalinks reverted back. I then checked my htcaccess and this is what is written:

RewriteRule ^os_body/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
# END REMOVE SLUG CUSTOM POST TYPE RULES

# Use PHP5 Single php.ini as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5s .php

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

I added the rules so that it now looks like this:

RewriteRule ^Pro_Kit-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Makeup-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Skin_Care-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Hair-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Body-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
# END CUSTOM POST TYPES PERMALINKS

RewriteRule ^os_pro_kit/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_makeup/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_skin_care/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_hair/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

I added the rules ( I hope I did this correctly), but I'm still getting a 404 error when I try to preview the review articles. The regular post preview still works okay. Boy, this is really tough,lol!

Thanks so much for your time!
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi Gayle,

Can you replace the contents of your htaccess with the following (so that the wordpress rules precedes the plugin rules) and post the results.

Code: Select all

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
</IfModule>

RewriteRule ^Pro_Kit-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Makeup-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Skin_Care-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Hair-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^Body-detail/(.+)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
# END CUSTOM POST TYPES PERMALINKS

RewriteRule ^os_pro_kit/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_makeup/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_skin_care/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^os_hair/(.+)/$ /$1 [R=301,L]
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:07 pm

I added the rules below like you suggested, even cleared cache and refreshed permalinks, but still this 404 when I try to preview the review articles. It's like it can't find it. It's mocking me :shock:
egcarbajal

Postby egcarbajal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Here's something interesting which may shed some light on the issue:

Just to see what happened (while keeping both the custom post type and remove slug plugin activated), I changed my custom permalink structure to /%postname%/, instead of the /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/ which my permalinks are setup as, and the preview WORKED.

But when I changed it back to my setup: /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/ (which is how over 100 of my old posts are formatted), I get a 404 when previewing the post.

Does this information help, or make things hopeless?

Best,
Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby godsofchaos » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Gayle,

Sorry for the delay!

Make a database backup at this instance.

The post above clears something indeed. See when you are converting your posts to articles they are being converted (or being created) and tagged as an article created on the date of the conversion. That's how it seems to me, that's how it technically should be. For you however, your wp is still trying to keep the same structure that is date based, but these posts are not here.

Did you first assign the post/article a category/post type and save it as a draft before you clicked the preview? Did you have a post title assigned to the new post you are trying to preview?

Tell me one thing, can you please check if the previews are working or not on any of the old published posts or not. Before you do this empty your trash for this post.

( To Trash a post:
go to Posts > Edit
Then click on the 'Trash' link at the top.
Click 'Delete Permanently' for the old version of the post
)

Also, for your purpose only, there may be yet another solution. There is a plugin called Advanced Permalinks which basically allows you to have multiple permalink structure for a single category/post type. If your old post previews are not working either, then please install that plugin and you can configure it so that both your date/month/year type permalinks and your new post permalinks are under the same category and custom post types. You will figure it out how to do it once you activate the plugin.

The only downside to this is that your new permalinks and your old permalinks structure will be different.
godsofchaos

Postby egcarbajal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for all your help!
I tried out the other permalink plugin, but it was a bit too complicated for me. So, I've just kinda learned to live with the limited preview. At least now I can preview until I publish, and any changes afterwards are generally minimal enough to just update without preview.

Thanks again for your help, you're a life saver!

Gayle
egcarbajal

Postby neodjandre » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 pm

great thread - if this works for me it will solve all of my problems since i need to convert 600 posts to review types... any other tips to be aware of before I begin?

:)

Andy
Last edited by neodjandre on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neodjandre
Veteran

Return to Made Support